Saturday, February 11, 2006

What Drives Our Trust

I had a great 2 hours with my mentor of nearly 30 years yesterday. We go back to the Fall of 1977, when I was a strapping young football coach and a tadpole in the faith. Speaking of strapping, he obviously had no idea what he was strapping on when he moved into my life! I was quite a project! Still am!

In the midst of the conversation, I was waxing as eloquent as I could when I came upon the following line of thought. See what you think.

We are not our own. We were bought at a price. We are here on this earth with the sole purpose of bringing glory to God. This story is not about ME!

Nobody in their right mind is going to live that way!

Unless. Unless what?

Unless we know, love and trust God.

The BEGINNING point of all this is the love of God.

So, the words of Brennan Manning and others ring ever true and profound:

UNLESS WE ARE CONVINCED WE ARE LOVED BY GOD THERE IS NO OTHER MESSAGE.

This is not an event nor is it a transaction. It only begins that way. IT IS A RELATIONSHIP; a hard, mysterious, unpredictable, un-manageable, thrilling, scary, life-giving, life-long and often frustrating RELATIONSHIP!

This is the first thing. Be with Jesus - the lover of you! Push back the stuff of your life so you can hear Him say, "You're mine! I birthed you. I love you beyond limits. You are worth a lot to me. Come and sit with me and be happy!"

Be with him in your alone times.

Be with Him in the lives of your Christ-following friends.

Run to the hem of Jesus as any child of His would (presume upon Him!), stand on tippy-toes, rear your head back so your eyes meet His, raise your hands and watch Him lift you to His warm, loving and secure chest.

And be happy.

No comments: